Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Home Can Be a Heaven on Earth (With 'Can' Being the Operative Word)

Last Sunday in Relief Society, I sat next to a friend as we sang the closing song "Home Can Be a Heaven on Earth". As the mothers of small children, the irony of the title didn't escape our notice, nor did the line about children honoring and obeying.

My friend blogged about this earlier today. To read her funny yet touching and thought-provoking post go here. To read my thoroughly cynical rendition of the song, stay where you are.

Home Can Be A Heaven on Earth
LDS Hymn Number 298
Music by W. Herbert Klopfer
New Lyrics by Julie Bennett

Home can be a heav'n on earth
When all the kids are sleeping,

Legos, Barbies, diapers, books
and "Who forgot to flush?"

Will the chaos ever end?
Benadryl's my closest friend,

Making bearable the madness
I embrace each day.


I love my kids. I love my life. But I also love bedtime.

1 comment:

Nikki said...

Ah Julie, I soooo needed this tonight. I've just taken a break from Tilexing the living room windowsills and frame after tipping over the couch to find a plentiful dead cheerio and lego graveyard.