Saturday, January 24, 2009

Staying Afloat

I recently read "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel. It's a story about a young boy who gets shipwrecked and is the lone human survivor on a life boat. In the story, he finds a survival manual written by the British Royal Navy. Some of the survival tips made me laugh, some turned my stomach, and some were just good common sense. I thought I'd share some of them that I think can (and should!) be applied in our everyday lives.

  • Always read instructions carefully.
  • Do not drink urine. Or sea water. Or bird blood.
  • Ignorance is the worst doctor, while rest and sleep are the best nurses.
  • Put up your feet at least five minutes every hour.
  • Unnecessary exertion should be avoided but an idle mind tends to sink.
  • Do no urinate in your clothes. The momentary warmth is not worth the nappy rash.
  • Turtle blood is a good, nutritious, salt-free drink.
  • Don't let your morale flag. Be daunted, but not defeated.

The one about bird blood is a daily reminder for me. "Oh, look. A sparrow. Boy... am I thirsty." *slaps self in the face* "Keep it together! No drinking blood! Unless it comes from a turtle."

Also, the bit about the nappy rash? Priceless! I almost gave myself a nappy rash giggling at that one.

No comments: